Community Palliative Care
- Provide expert assessment and ongoing support from specialist palliative care nurses
- Home visits by specialist palliative care nursing staff depending on the needs of the client and family
- Manage pain and other symptoms
- Provide emotional and spiritual support to you and your family
- Provide some specific aids and equipment to make life at home easier
- Work in partnership with you, your family, the doctor and other allied health services
- Provide grief and bereavement support including an annual memorial service
- Referral to other services e.g.
– Pastoral Care
– Home hygiene assistance, & respite services
Mildura Specialist Palliative Care Clinic
- Provide expert consultation by Visiting Specialist Pain and Palliative Care Physician from Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre for complex symptoms
- Specialist Nurses facilitate a monthly clinic
- Referral for this clinic is required from your Medical Practitioner
- Appointments and venue location information will be provided prior to your consultation.
Loddon Mallee Regional Palliative Care Consultancy Service
- Provide additional specialist assessment / management from a clinical nurse consultant if you have complex symptoms
- Access to Specialist Medical consultancy from Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre as needed
- Offer a range of external education, consultation advice and support to all health care professionals including:
– Residential Aged Care Facilities
– Disability Services
– General Practitioners
– Aboriginal Health Services
Palliative Care Advice Service
The Palliative Care Advice Service is a phone-based service for anyone seeking access to specialist guidance and advice for those living with a life-limiting illness and those who support them. The service is for family, friends and neighbours as well as all healthcare workers.
Specialist nurses and doctors provide information about serious illness and symptoms, being a caregiver and the palliative care service system. For healthcare workers, it offers guidance about prescribing, symptom management, locating appropriate services and decision-making.
The Parkville Integrated Palliative Care Service at The Royal Melbourne Hospital runs the service from 7am – 10pm, seven days a week. The Advice Service is free, confidential and available for everyone in Victoria.
To contact the Palliative Care Advice Service you can call 1800 360 000 or visit www.pcas.org.au for further information.