10,000 Steps Challenge – Get Up and Go Mildura!
**Registration for the 2021 10,000 Steps Challenge have now closed!**
Compete against teams in the education, workplaces, masters, community or the individual tournament for the prestigious ‘Golden Sneaker’ trophy. Other great prizes also up for grabs.
Challenge Duration: Monday 2nd August 2021 – Sunday 29th August 2021
Registrations open: Monday 28th June – Thursday 29th July 2021
Participation is FREE and open to all ages and abilities!
10,000 Steps Challenge – 2021 Official Winners and Awards
Congratulations to all our winners!
Overall Tournament Winner
Charlie & His Angel, team captain Gabby Dean- Annual Golden Sneaker Trophy
1st Place – Trinity Trailblazers A – Trinity Lutheran College – Team Captain: Helen Watts – $200 Ziggy’s Café Voucher, 1 x Group PT Voucher with Collective Fitness and Yoga & an Exercise Prize Pack
Runner-up – Trinity Trailblazers B – Trinity Lutheran College – Team Captain: Beatrice Sue – $100 Subway Voucher, 10 x Sunraysia Tenpin Bowling Vouchers & an Exercise Prize Pack
1st Place – Lost in Pace – Mallee District Aboriginal Services – Team Captain: Sam Gledhill – $200 Banjo’s Voucher, 10 x Sunraysia Tenpin Bowling Vouchers & an Exercise Prize Pack
Runner-up – Ketamine Krew – Mildura Base Public Hospital – Intensive Care Unit – Team Captain: Isabella Inglis – $100 Subway Voucher, 10 x Sunraysia Tenpin Bowling Vouchers & an Exercise Prize Pack
1st Place – Charlie & His Angel – Team Captain: Gabby Dean – $200 Stefano’s Cafe Voucher, 1 Month Training with F45 Mildura & an Exercise Prize Pack
Runner-up – Power Rangers – Team Captain: Coreena Blair – $100 Subway Voucher, 10 x Sunraysia Tenpin Bowling Vouchers & an Exercise Prize Pack
1st Place – InVINCEable Seniors – Team Captain: Christine Rahmel – $200 Mr Bun Mi Voucher, 10 x Tenpin Bowling Vouchers & an Exercise Prize Pack
Runner-up – Golden Girls – Team Captain: Pat Thorburn – $100 Subway Voucher, Group PT Voucher with Fun and Fitness with Chris & an Exercise Prize Pack
1st Place – BillyO – Anne O’Rouke – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher & an Exercise Prize Pack
Runner-up – Ben Ezeabia – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher & an Exercise Prize Pack
Most Improved Team– NuzNush – Community Tournament – Team Captain Nuzhatul Mannan – $100 Subway Voucher & an Exercise Prize Pack
Highest Individual Stepper – Grace Spataro – Ketamine Krew (Average total steps per day = 42,031 steps) – 3 Month Membership + Starter Pack to Fitness360, $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher & an Exercise Prize Pack
Most Improved Individual – BillyO – Anne O’Rourke – Individual Tournament – 3 Month Membership to Mildura Waves
Most Motivated Individual– Isabella Inglis – Ketamine Krew – Workplace Tournament – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher & an Exercise Prize Pack
Most Motivated Team Captain– Christine Rahmel – InVINCEables – Masters Tournament – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher & an Exercise Prize Pack
Social Media Gurus – The Flighties – Flight Centre – Workplace Tournament – Team Captain: Gabriella Garreffa – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher, $100 Clove Voucher & an Exercise Prize Pack
Please see below for a full list of final results:
***ATTENTION PRIZE WINNERS – We will do our best to ensure all prizes are received in a fast and safe manner. Please wait for our team to contact you to arrange a pick-up time and location. To help keep you and our community safe, please do not come to Sunraysia Community Health Services to pick up your prize unless told otherwise. Thank you for your understanding.
Weekly Social Media Photo Competition 2021
Congratulations to our Social Media Gurus for 2021 which went to The Flighties – Flight Centre!
Dress in theme! Send us your best photos/selfies dressed in the theme of the week to win a free group PT session and some coffee vouchers for your whole team!
- Week One (2nd Aug – 8th Aug) – We are bringing back the Double Denim (Wear your double denim this week or on Jeans for Genes Day– Friday 6th August). If we receive 10 or more double denim photos, we will donate $100 to the Jeans for Genes Foundation
- Week Two (9th Aug – 15th Aug) – Wear your active wear – Can be total retro 80’s style or your comfiest active gear.
- Week Three (16th Aug – 22nd Aug) – Winter Warmers – What keeps you warm while getting active during Winter!
- Week Four (23rd Aug – 29th Aug) – Wear your fav sporting team colours!
Please inbox photo/s to our facebook page or use the hashtag #SCHS10000steps when posting your own.
Alternatively, you can email your photo/s to us. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to let us know who you are and what team you’re from!
Photos must be sent by 12noon each Friday to be eligible for weekly competitions
By sharing your photo/s, you consent to Sunraysia Community Health Services using content for social media and marketing purposes
FACEBOOK PAGE – @SunraysiaCommunityHealth
Helping You Stay Active and Safe During COVID-19
As many state’s face lock downs and self isolation is mandatory – we want to remind everyone how important physical activity is for our physical and mental health.
If you need some ideas and tips for exercising at home – Exercise Right is here to help.
See their website for:
- Home Workouts – no equipment required
- Resources to help educate and inspire Australians to stay active at home during the COVID-19 pandemic
Click on the image below to download a PDF of the Exercise Right at Home Poster
Click on the image below to download a PDF of Exercise Right’s Workout Planner
Step conversion chart
Not a fan of running or walking? Don’t worry other physical activity is also counted in the challenge. You can simply record the number of minutes of additional moderate and/or vigorous exercise you do each day.
- Moderate Activity: Causes a slight, but noticeably increase in breathing and heart rate. You should be able to still maintain a conversation. Examples include cycling, swimming, weight training, active gardening and dancing.
- Vigorous Activity: Makes you ‘huff and puff’ and is where talking full sentences between breaths is difficult. Examples include high intensity circuit training, running, sprints, netball/football/soccer (midfield) and other competitive sports.
Alternatively, check out this step conversion table to determine the activity’s equivalent number of steps.
If your activity is not listed, find the one(s) most similar to it and estimate the activity’s step value.
1. Each participant must have an active 10,000 Steps account. Use an old account or register a new one on the official www.10000steps.org.au webpage.
2. Create a team in your early childhood service, school, workplace, community group or with friends and family. Teams can have a maximum of 20 team members.
3. Team captains to complete online registration form (NOTE: If you are entering the Individual Tournament, you will need to complete the form as a team captain only). Early childhood services, schools and higher education providers choose the education tournament. All other workplaces, choose the workplace/organisation tournament. Community groups, teams, friends and family teams choose the community tournament. If your team is all over 55 years old, you are welcome to choose the masters tournament. For individuals who would like a personal challenge, please choose the individual tournament.
4. Once you’ve completed the online registration form, await confirmation e-mail from the SCHS Health Promotion team to let you know that your team has been set up and is ready to go! Once your team is registered, choose how you will track your steps throughout the challenge.
5. For the duration of the challenge, record your steps and log online daily or by no later than 12pm Monday each week. Ladder updates will be e-mailed out weekly!
Pedometers are available to loan for FREE. Please contact the Health Promotion Team E: email@example.com.
Log steps daily via your official 10,000 steps account www.10000steps.org.au
Contact details: Health Promotion team – firstname.lastname@example.org P: (03) 5025 9003 – leave a message and we’ll get back to you! F: (03) 5025 9080.
Why 10,000 steps?
Sounds like a lot, but when you see it takes 500 steps to walk from the car park to the supermarket you’re well on your way to hitting your goal. Reaching 10,000 steps every day will help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Read 10,000 Steps articles to learn more.
Increasing your physical activity levels, through increasing daily step count, is worthwhile; even if 10,000 steps is not the right goal for you. The most important thing is being as active as you can. Striving for 10,000 steps is just one way of doing this.
One Size Doesn’t Fit All
Of course, some people accumulate a lot few steps per day – for example, older people, those with chronic disease, and office workers. And others do a lot more: children, runners, and some blue-collar workers. So the 10,000 goal is not suitable for everyone.
Setting a lower individual step goal is fine as long as you try to add about 3,000 to 4,000 steps to your day. This means you will have done your 30 minutes of activity.
2020 Mildura 10,000 Steps Challenge Official Winners and Awards
Congratulations to all our winners!
Overall Tournament Winner
Charlie’s Oompa Loompas, team captain Sandra Demasi – Annual Golden Sneaker Trophy
1st Place – Sandy Bear, sole team member Sandra Summerton – $200 Banjo’s Voucher
2nd Place – Fam Affair, team captain Noeleen Carn – $100 Stefano’s Café Voucher
1st Place – Charlie’s Oompa Loompas, team captain Sandra Demasi – $200 Mr Bun Mi Voucher
2nd Place – Max Steps, team captain Andrew Kremor – $100 Stefano’s Café Voucher
1st Place – Trinity Trailblazers, team captain Helen Watts – $200 Banjo’s Voucher
2nd Place – St Joe’s Angels- St Joseph’s Primary School, team captain Josie Gallace – $100 Clove Voucher
1st Place – The A Team, Sunraysia Community Health Services, team captain Coreena Blair – $200 Ziggy’s Café Voucher
2nd Place Lost in Pace, Mallee District Aboriginal Services SEWB, team captain Sam Gledhill – $100 Espresso Drive Voucher
1st Place – Kyla Pollard – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher
2nd Place – Jess Versteeg-Staker – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher
– Social Media Gurus – Community Tournament- JZD Scott- team captain Joanne Scott – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher
– Highest Stepping Individual – Jenny Blagus, Aligned Leisure – Mildura – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher
– Most Motivational Captain (by Nominations) – Sue Condon, Branch Connection – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher
– Most Motivated Individual (by Nominations) – Carolyn Megson: Trinity Trailblazers – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher
– Most Improved Team – F3549- team captain Lisa Zappia – $100 Mildura City Heart Voucher
To see where your team finished in the overall tournament – Check out the official ladder here FINAL team results!
Prizes to be collected from Sunraysia Community Health Services Reception, 137 Thirteenth St (Cnr Deakin Avenue), Mildura
Resources & Apps
Access 10,000 Steps Resources here for step trackers, posters and step conversion chart and more. Use these resources to help recruit and motivate team members.
SCHS have approximately 250 pedometers at Mildura City Heart Office.
Don’t want to wear a pedometer? Download one of the many free pedometer and physical activity trackers below: